Monday, September 13, 2010

Verdana

"Typography is not a science, typography is an art."

I have always thought that type was a very expressive form of graphic design, possibly even my favorite form. That may be hard for the average person to understand because most people barely even notice type. They look at a sign and read it, I look at a sign and see art. "Type. In your lifetime you've seen billions of letters and millions of words, yet you might never have consciously noticed the typefaces you read" (Daniel Will-Harris). There is so much that can be done with type, so many possibilities. There are so many different fonts and styles, shapes and designs, it just really is a blank canvas. I have never been very good at drawing so typography is an easier way for me to express myself.


Ever since I was little I always had a fascination with handwriting and how everyone would write differently. I had always hated my own handwriting so taught myself to write how I wanted. Over the years I've observed many different handwritings and kind of "stole" what letters were my favorite. For example; if my friend Sarah wrote really nice a's I would teach myself to write my a's like hers. It does sound a bit crazy, but it is almost like I made my own font just for myself.



One font that I find particularly intriguing is Verdana. It is simple yet sophisticated, organized yet wild, it just has so much to offer. My main reason for liking Verdana so much is because it gives of a handwritten feeling without looking sloppy. It is also very easy to read in small sizes on a computer (one of the reasons it was designed). It is a futuristic font that features that is accepted globally.




Verdana has gained a lot of popularity in past years and numerous companies have switched logos. Ikea switched from Futura to Verdana.




Not long after Ikea made the switch Verdana, Apple Inc. also hopped on the Verdana bandwagon.  





Verdana is a type face that is sure to keep its popularity in the future years and it will probably be popping up on more logos too.




No comments:

Post a Comment