Monday, September 5, 2011

Authenticity, Gadgets, and Nostalgia

After reading the article “The Personal is Historical” by Bruce Sterling I can relate to much of what he is saying. What happens in the beginning of your life has tremendous influence on your future. The way you are raised, where you grow up, how much money you have, family influence, etc. Everything has an impact. Sterling tells about how his father made the switch from engineering to farming. His father believed that authenticity had to do with the land, cattle, and crops (26). Sterling too had experience working on farms and he understood the authenticity of farming. He was able to use his background in the design world as well.
Design is about creating new, genuine, real pieces of work that please consumers and viewers. To do this successfully the designer needs to use techniques that they have learned throughout their life. In Sterling’s case this meant going back to the basics. For example, when he was creating a light he went to the simplest technical aspect and built the entire structure from there. Focusing on the internal components allowed Sterling to create an innovative and fictional light that pleased the client.
Our job as consumers is to consume. When products are made, our job is to buy them and enjoy them, and then consequently buy more. It is a never-ending circle. Sterling hits upon the fact that our society is obsessed with gadgets. From a design point of view this is a great thing. Take the iPod/iPhone/iPad for example. Apple products last for numerous years (for the most part) yet consumers will buy a newer model simply because we are gadget obsessed. We need the BEST item available on the market as soon as possible. This leaves designers constantly tweaking and improving upon products.
From my prospective I consider authenticity to be found in nature. My favorite design elements include using black, whites, and neutral colors. I believe in simplicity and proper design tools. One gadget that has always intrigued me has been the iPod. It started off very simple with one purpose, playing music. It has slowly evolved to being one of the most useful gadgets of modern times. Now it is touch screen with many more options then just playing music. It also started in just one color and is now offered in many colors. The authenticity of the product remains through all the advancements however because they continue to be true to the original. As long as the iPod has the ability to play music, it will always be connected to its roots and true purpose. Apple has been most popular company during my lifetime and made many achievchiments in the computer and music device industry. The iPod has practically wiped out the use of CD’s and forever changed the music industry. A product such as this required much imagination and huge risks. The culture that I have been surrounded by is run by technology and the iPod is the perfect example of technological advancements.
Whenever I am driving and I see younger children riding their bikes I cannot help but think about when that was me. What I find ironic is how when that was me on the bike, I always wanted to be driving. It is funny how life works out sometimes. Learning how to a ride a bike is an essential element to any childhood and is a great bonding time with the person that taught you. I will never forget the amount of times my dad “wouldn’t let me go” and somehow I would always end up in a bush. Yet, every time I would actually believe he wouldn’t. It was stupidity; it was knowing that without him letting go, I wouldn’t be able to do it alone. This bike riding strategy can also relate to designing. Without taking risks you have nothing to move forward from. Risk taking and devotion are two essential elements when focusing on design.

The image above is a bike similar to when I stopped using training wheels. One of the biggest accomplishments of my childhood. My dad still tells me how happy I was with my "big girl bike."

No comments:

Post a Comment